Saturday, May 10, 2008

the children of iraq

if you could take the worst enviroment imaginable and add heat, famine, bugs, malaria, poverty beyond anything you could imagine, add a shit load of trash and human shit everywhere and you have the slums of Sadr City... now imagine small children running and waving. smiles on their faces even in the worst possible living conditions. that hit me pretty hard. I guess i didnt know I had a soft spot for kids that much. The adolecents just try to sell you shit but the little kids brighten your day when your wearing 60 pounds of gear, sweating your ass off and havent showered in 4 days. its the little things i guess.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog made me cry....I always knew you had a sweet, caring, heart, my sweet boy! Indeed, it is the little things....what a fabulous learning experience! I Love You!

Our Family said...

Of course you have a soft spot for children! Do you remember all the times I brought Kyle over to see you and when I brought him to see the fire station. You have always been good with kids. I am so proud of you Eric. I worry about the fact that you are somewhere so dangerous but I am so proud that you are doing something so noble and brave by serving our country! You and the many people suffering over there are in my prayers. I am so glad that you have this blog. It is good to see how you are doing. Keep in touch!

Nicole said...

Aww.. i knew u had a soft spot ; ) I miss you so much...

Unknown said...

That one picture with you and the black smoke drifting looks like you are toking a bong.Say it ain't so! Keep your head down. Get your ass home and have a good time and get in the Pacific(but watch out for sharks)

Unknown said...

Eric, my darlin'...wouldn't expect you to react any differently to those little ones!! Especially when you see what they're experiencing compared to what your life was like growing up. Yes, it's recognizing how important the "little things" are that make your heart grow!!! You're a star!!! I love you lots!! XXXOOOOOO
Aunt Roo

joanniebug said...

Hi Eric - This is Joan, Gregor's upstairs neighbor. Have been reading yr comments and enjoy them. Am thinking of yu often; take good care. Joan